Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tough life at Colon Street in Cebu City





This was a very inspirational drawing of mine since I was in college. Somewhere in Colon streets in Cebu City, Philippines. I saw a poor woman carrying her baby in the street walking with no direction. Her dress had a lot of dirt as was her face and her little baby. Her face was sort of swollen yet I can tell by her expression that she was suffering from something. She walk limply like she hadn't eaten for days and I was so afraid she could out carry her baby in any second. I can't tell what age her baby was since it was covered with thick fabric and was asleep soundly.

Imagine, walking with her baby in those busy and dangerous streets of colon? There a lot of people from all sorts out there. There were students, employees, vendors, and a few are snatchers. Snatchers were very famous through this streets. Most of them were male teenagers, few are street children and even female teens.  I had heard a lot of stories from my classmates on their experiences with and their struggles with the snatchers regarding the loss of their valuable materials.

But this woman, showed no fear of any nor even cared. She just walked without being aware of the cars and jeeps passing by but at least she stayed at side of the road. You can see in her the lack of hopelessness, the hunger, the sadness, and the deep desire of belonging. I really stared at her the moment she came over and passed at me. I can't help but analyze her situation, thinking what she have been through. When she was finally out of sight, I soon realized that there is something that hits me right in my consciousness that I should do something for her but I guess it was awkward for me at that time since I was alone waiting for a jeep to ride on my way home. I wish I could give her any help somehow.

As I reached safely in my home, I went straight to my bedroom and did a rough sketch with that woman i just saw. The moment my pencil touches the surface of the paper, I started thinking of my goals in the future. My goal in wanting to serve through foundations and charities to help and share my blessings to those people who needs it the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment