Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The reality of being unemployed

I'm back and I am now officially entitled as 'unemployed' individual. I have graduated Cum Laude of my Bachelor's Degree last March 22, 2014. I really wasn't expecting to graduate with flying colors but to receive such award was astounding and overwhelming though my last year in college was way pretty tough. It's tough because practically in our batch I am thoroughly grateful that I am blessed with talents of creativity, arts, and graphics so I'm always picked up by our organisation president to compete with contests inside our university. Sometimes, these contest intrudes my class schedule and I am to write an excuse letter to be excused but sadly there are some teachers who don't give in to student's excuse letters instead they marked them absent. But I don't regret having joined contests in fact i'm thankful because somehow I managed to bag some awards and that makes my resume look awesome.

I was also held as Creative Director in an Advertising Agency inside our school. It was part of our on-the-job training requirements. The heck it was an On-The-Job (OJT) work! We were like real employees in an advertising agency doing a lot heavy works. I doubt if it's true that we were handling 2 millions peso account but how I wish we were receiving any allowance or any decrease of our tuition fee as they had promised(the employers) when we are made to choose where to apply for OJT. So I took a bite on the significant job offer that in turn unknowingly would make my 4th year life more stressful and strenuous than it ever was other than those who decided to had OJT outside the school. What makes it worst  at that time was we also had our thesis which in fact became more difficult because of certain teacher-administration issues that makes the development of our thesis prolonged and not to forget the 'test of friendship' because our thesis is by partner, thus, inevitably, we have to be cooperative together in reaching the expected results and sometimes our needs and wants are not that 'exactly' met.There were so many pressures topped with deadlines and long duty hours in order to finish work in the advertising agency. It's a huge responsibility being a creative director because you get to manage your subordinates and most of the time, work with heads and with valuable clients inside the university like directors, teachers, college deans and chairperson. Indeed, it was stressful, strenuous, mind-draining, emotionally-challenging, and patience-killing experience. By far, it was was the greatest pressure I've ever experienced in the history of my student life. 

These might have crumbled me but thanks to God almighty and to my parents for making me an optimistic, hardworking, dedicated, creative individual that made me get through all of this and has me become what I am now. I'm very thankful to the people behind my success.  My friends, batchmates, colleagues and my boyfriend.

Now, that I have graduated. What's next? Yes, a job! A job where I can be happy and satisfied and can make me a better professional on my field of expertise. Though my course major is communication and marketing, I am very hopeful to land a job on advertising field hopefully as a fresher I want  to start with being a "Graphic Artist/Designer". Almost 2 months of applying for such but a call never came instead there were calls from the applications of marketing officer and the like but I am a  fresher, what experience do I have to  be so picky on job positions. So, I took response to applications that are none of my interest and put in mind that these is all just for experience.

I thought pressure only came from  teachers and heads who demands school works/OJT works and no matter what, parents are there to support you on your difficult times. Just as I was waiting for any response for my applications, I didn't thought I would have any trouble waiting through days, weeks, and months having known that my mom is already pressuring me to get into job. The sad part was that she became more desperate that she always makes me feel bad every time I wake up in the morning saying that I have no future or stuff that makes me feel unworthy and passive. I did everything I could from getting into job fairs to walking-in in different companies. I even take freelance on being a graphic artist that offers unstable income. But there were no support nor comfort that I received from my mom from not having to receive calls each day. Instead, she compared me to any school mates or classmates I have that already had a work which I know probably did not suit their preferences but then I feel really bad about it. I've shed tears couple of days early in the morning knowing that my mom never truly understands me even when I had graduated with the course that she had chosen for me. I gave in to her want and I neglected what I want but then pressure was all I get and pressure is one of the few things that gets me motivated to work my best through life. In the end, I don't hold grudges to my Mom neither to other people. I understand that what she did was for a good cause although manner of approach was not appealing most of the time.

All of these I will endure. All of these I will take a great deal of patience because now I will face the reality. The reality of being unemployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment